Sensei Huckle worked on a punching and stepping exercise in this live karate class, focusing mainly on cntraction and expansion.
The theme for this month is contraction and expansion, so a large part of the class focused on using the legs and body to create explosive karate techniques.
Other topics were also covered, kime, non telegraph movement, fluidity of movement and much more.
Here is the combination broken down and the video below goes into a lot more detail and is there for our members to practice and follow along.
- Starting with a left side fighting stance.
- Bring the back leg up sharply to the front and at the same time punch kizami tsuki with the front left arm.
- Then drive off of the right leg and step forward with the left leg and punch gyaku tsuki with the right arm, finishing in the shomen square facing position.
- As you snap the reverse punching arm back step forward oi tsuki with the right leg and land jodan tsuki with the right arm, in the hanmi side facing position.
- As you shuffle back, reach back with the left back foot, then bring the right leg to the left, then once again step back with the left leg finishing in a right side fighting stance.
- Then repeat on the right side.
Later in the class, Sensei Huckle worked on fluidity of movement by coming up in a high stance and not using hikite on any of the punches. Making sure the guard is always high and not stopping at all throughout the combination.
Strong fast techniques with kime, stopping on each technique and fluidity of movement, with the step and punches was focused on in the final part of this live karate class.