Mae Geri keage (Front Snap Kick) Stepping
Mae Geri Keage
Front snap Kick
1. Starting from a left leg in front Jiyu kamae (fighting posture), lift the knee high, making sure the foot lifts immediately off the floor, try not to drag the foot accross the floor.
keeping the ankle bent (90 degrees) and the toes curled back, so the ball of the foot is pointing directly forward.
2. Extend the kick to the target, keeping the supporting foot flat and toes facing forward. As the kicking leg travels forward, push into the floor with the supporting leg, then using that push, drive the hips forward (keeping them square), try not to over extend with the hips.
3. Ensure the kick drives into the target and not up in front of the target. This basic front kick wants to travel straight, like a bullet and not in an upward arching movement.
4. As the foot reaches the target, the ankle goes from a 90 degree bend to straight. The foot points forward with the toes curled back, making sure the ball of the foot hits the target.
5. At full extension the kicking leg should snap back vigorously while keeping the knee high; this technique, if done correctly, should release a shock effect into the target.
6. Then step forward into a right leg in front Jiyu kamae (fighting posture).
7. Repeat on the other side.
When you start the kick, try not to telegraph your movement.
Do not move your arms before and as you start the kick, try not to lift the shoulders as you start the kick, or dip the head down.
Imagine when kicking that you are trying to conceal your movement from your opponent, then know yourself when you kick, if you believe you have or have not telegraphed the technique.
Mae Geri Keage
Mae geri keage is an extremely fast and direct kick, it’s basically your foot from the floor to the target in the fastest and most direct way.
This kick should travel straight like a bullet, try not to arc the kick upwards at the end of the technique.
Great care should be taken when practicing these karate moves for beginners, if practiced incorrectly they may cause injury, so please find a qualified instructor and sign up for their karate classes online or off.