Oss ! This is for 5th kyu Karateka working towards 4th Kyu Purple and White belt
When you Enter The Dojo, this combination is part of the 5th Kyu purple belt course and is needed when testing for 4th Kyu purple and White belt.
This is one of the combinations for our 5th Kyu purple belt examination. (Video tutorial below)
This exercise works on stance shifting and transference of body weight.
This is a really good exercise to see where exactly your body weight is in the three basic stances. Zenkutsu Dachi (front stance), Kiba Dachi (horse riding stance) and Kokutsu Dachi (back stance).
1. Start in Kiba Dachi (horse riding stance), with the left arm out in the tate shuto (edge of the hand) position
2. Two Chokuzuki (straight punch), right side, then left.
3. Drive off the right leg and punch a right arm Gyakuzuki (reverse punch) at a 45 Degree angle to the left.
4. Then shift your body weight back to the center in Kiba Dachi (horse riding stance) and punch two Chokuzuki (straight punch), left side, then right.
5. Drive off the left leg and punch a left arm Gyakuzuki (reverse punch) at a 45 Degree angle to the right.
6. Snap the left hip back sharply and turn to the left and perform a left Shuto Uke (knife hand block) in Kokutsu Dachi (back stance).
7. Then slowly shift your body weight back to the center into Kiba Dachi (horse riding stance) and extend the right arm out into the tate shuto (edge of the hand) position.
8. Then repeat 1. to 8. on the opposite side.
Make sure your body weight is transferring through the three positions, 1. Forward in the front stances, 2. Center in horse riding stance and 3. weight back on the back stance.
Stance Shifting Video