In this live shotokan karate class, Sensei Amos worked on two combinations focusing on the karate flow.
Many karateka are very robotic in their movement and sometimes it’s down to just holding muscle tension.
Shotokan Karate Combination 1
1. From a left leg in front fighting stance, punch with the right arm, Gyaku zuki (reverse punch) and snap back.
2. As you complete the snap back, immediately punch Okuri zuki (moving punch).
With Okuri zuki, feel like you are launching a reverse punch (gyaku zuki), at the same time as you fire the punch, start to drive the body weight forward.
As the body weight moves forward, also start to step with the back ,leg.
Hit the target with the body weight forward and back leg moving forward, then snap the okuri zuki punch back and land in kamae.
Okuri zuki is a very unusual punch, but can be extremely powerfull.
Shotokan Karate Combination 2
1. From a left leg in front fighting stance, punch with the right arm, Gyaku zuki (reverse punch).
2. As you snap the reverse punch back, use you front legt leg to sweep (ashio barai) your opponents front leg.
3. Immediately after the ashi barai, counter gyaku zuki and snap back tio kamae.