Congratulations on getting to this examination, here I will explain what is required for 8th Kyu red belt test. Be sure and practice the lessons within the red belt course thoroughly.
The basic fundamentals within karate are very important and getting them right now will definitely pay off in the long run. Karateka (someone who practices karate) who neglect the basics, crumble when they come to the more advanced karate.
Four of each technique performed at speed from shizentai or natural stance.
- Four strikes on the spot from shizentai (yoi position) 4 times slowly (2 sets on each side alternating), then 4 times full speed (2 sets on each side alternating). Choku Zuki – Teisho – Haito and Shuto
- Four blocks on the spot from shizentai (yoi position) 4 times slowly (2 sets on each side alternating), then 4 times full speed (2 sets on each side alternating). Age uke, soto ude uke, gedan barai and uchi ude uke
- Shuto Uke Knife Hand Block From Shizentai. 4 times slowly (2 shuto on each side alternating), then 4 times full speed (2 shuto on each side alternating)
- Kokutsu Dachi (Back Stance). Stationary, hold for 1 minute on each side
- Gyaku Zuki (Reverse Punch). 6 times slowly (3 punches on each side alternating), then 6 times full speed (3 punches on each side alternating).
- Heian Shodan One slowly and one full speed.
Here are a few pointers to help.
Keep the shoulders down and relaxed throughout the techniques.
Finish both arms at the same time
Keep the eyes forward
Breath out sharply on the completion of each technique.
Once you are happy with your techniques, film yourself and then upload to your personal youtube account, making the video ‘unlisted’, so no one else can see it on Youtube apart from the people you send the link to. Then email the video link to Sensei Huckle at ~
How to upload your video to youtube.
Make your video unlisted and don’t forget to hit the publish button after upload.